Winter Solstice Celebration: Native American Festival
Mission San Luis
2100 West Tennessee Street
Tallahassee, FL 32304
Admission fee per day:
Adults - $5; Seniors (65+) - $3; Children (6 -17) - $2; Members, Children under 6 and Active Duty Military - FREE!
Join us at Florida's Apalachee-Spanish Living History Museum for two days of Southeastern Native American dancing, music, craft vendors, cultural demonstrations, and storytelling. Like last year we have nationally known acts coming to town! Also enjoy living history, solar viewing with scopes, drum circles, archery, crafts for kids, and more! Fun for all ages!
Saturday, December 15 (10 am - 6 pm)
Sunday December 16 (10 am - 4 pm)
Support our Native American and other artisans and get your holiday shopping done! Find jewelry, pottery, baskets, gourd art, dance regalia, traditional instruments, shell art, fabrics and clothing with Southeastern Native American designs, native plant and herbal products, wood carvings, and much more!
Dance (Both Performance & Participatory):
• Warriors of AniKituhwa - The official cultural ambassadors of the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians will bring historic Cherokee dances – such as the Cherokee War Dance and Eagle Tail Dance - to life.
• Mississippi Band of Choctaw Social Dancers – Social dances mark important aspects of community and family life within the tribe.
• Lyndon Alec – An engaging hoop dancer from the Alabama-Couchette Tribe who will demonstrate this popular type of dance
• Rita Youngman – A Seminole Indian tribal member whose music is inspired by her Native heritage
• Painted Raven - Contemporary Native American flute and World music performed by the talented duo of Annette Abbondanza and Holly Harris
Cultural Demonstrations and Activities:
• Apalachee Indian Craft & Cultural Demos
• Canoe Carving Demo – by Pedro Zepeda, Traditional Arts and Outreach Coordinator of the Seminole Indian Tribe
• Cherokee Blow Dart Demo – by the Warriors of AniKituhwa
• Mississippi Choctaw Crafts, Cooking, & Stickball Demos
• Sunscope Viewing – with the Tallahassee Astronomical Society (Saturday 12/15)
• San Luis Living History Cooking & Blacksmithing Demos
• Archery & Atlatl (spearthrowing) Activities
• Children’s Crafts
• Drum Circles (Saturday 12/15)